Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Compass Walk & Urban Nature


So today for class we had to follow a compass and a list of directions given in degrees and paces.  Obviously, this is not something I was used to.  Once a got a hang of using the compass, it was easier but I was nervous because it seemed like I was going the wrong way more often than not.  I think it would be somewhat easier to do this in the woods instead of the city because the city has buildings and sidewalks and you have to follow them, even if your arrow is pointing somewhere else on the compass.  My compass also liked to point to random directions and call them north.  I’m not sure if that was a result of lots of metal in the city or a crappy Walmart compass, but I fared okay.  I enjoyed the walk and seeing some parts of the city I don’t normally see.   I really dislike the city in the winter but there were a lot of beautiful little things to be found if you actually look for them.  The city of Pittsburgh does always seem to amaze me, even if I hate the cold, grey winter.  It seems like there’s always some other little place to go or thing to see popping up that I’ve never noticed.  I’ve been to a lot of the places we went before, Point State Park, across the bridge to PNC Park and down near the water over there, but seems like I just keep finding new things to see in this city.



 


No comments:

Post a Comment